Bridget Cantwell works in the Reservations Department in Head Office in Dublin where she takes care of reservations for our volunteer hostels, franchise hostels and Hostelling International Groups. We sat down with her for a cup of tea and a chat to see what she is like when she is not chasing hostel managers on the phone.
1. What three traits define you? Honest, helpful, impatient
2. What is your personal philosophy? Be the best you can be!
3. What’s one thing you couldn’t live without? Books!
4. What is the greatest challenge you have had to overcome in your life thus far? I think the amount of times I sat my driving test, and finally passing it!
5. What is the one thing you cannot resist? Smell of chips from chip shop can be very hard to say no to…
6. What is your greatest fear? Dying
7. Where is your favourite place to be? London
8. What is your favourite thing to do? Learning the drums
9. Where is the best place you’ve travelled to and why? New York, because it feels just like it does in the films – yellow taxis, skyscrapers, the atmosphere. It is incredible.
10. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever had? I worked in an office to do with online sports betting – It was known as ‘Spread-betting’, and to this day I still don’t know what it means.
11. What does true leadership mean to you? Integrity in the person – knowing they would do what is correct and true, and that it will have a positive effect on everyone, not just them. Putting your faith in them.
12. Which one would you want most and why – flying cars, robot housekeepers, or moon cities? Flying cars sounds kind of cool!
13. What has been the most important innovation you have witnessed in your lifetime? In regards to technology, I would say the Internet as it is so important in day to day life, and work.
14. What would you do (for a career) if you weren’t doing this? Writer
15. If you could do another job for just one day, what would it be? Police Officer
16. What would you most like to tell yourself at age 13? Things will get better
17. What are your three most overused words/phrases? ‘Do you know what I mean?’ ‘Do you get me?’ ‘Sorry!’
18. How do you define success? Success is achieving all that makes you happy. It could be in your family life, by raising happy, healthy children, or in your work life by achieving all that you set out to do.
19. What is the best book you have ever read? Dracula by Bram Stoker
20. Tell us something that might surprise us about you. I have synaesthesia – I see words and numbers in colour, in my mind’s eye. It helps when doing Sudoku!
If you would like to read more about our staff, please sign up to our newsletter.