Dún Chaoin Youth Hostel in Kerry near Dingle is in a beautiful location beside the Blasket Islands with stunning views and great hiking trails. Close to Dingle town in Kerry further out on the Dingle Peninsula – so popular people find it difficult to leave!
OPENING DATES: 6 March – 16 October 2017
OPENING TIMES: 9am – 10pm
CHECK- IN: 9am – 10pm
Address: Dún Chaoin, Baile an Fhéirteiraigh, Ballyferriter, Co. Kerry
- From Tralee, follow the signs to Dingle (N86). Follow the road from Dingle to Dún Chaoin by Slea Head or Báile an Fhéirteiraigh (Ballyferriter). The Hostel is located 5miles/8km from Báile an Fhéirteiraigh (Ballyferriter).
- From Dingle to Dún Chaoin via Slea Head will take you approx 45 minutes drive. This is the scenic route and is a bit longer and the road can be a little bit narrow so is best undertaken in daylight. From Dingle via Báile an Fhéirteiraigh (Ballyferriter) will take you approx 30 minutes drive but will bring you along much wider roads and is advisable at night time.
- The Hostel is located on the main road just before you turn off for the world famous Blasket/Heritage Centre. This centre is well sign-posted as the Blasket Island Heritage centre (Ionadh an mBlacaoidh) is located approx 1 minute drive or 5 minutes walk from the Hostel. The hostel is on the main road before you turn off for the Centre.
- You would need to take the bus from Tralee to Dingle and then from Dingle to Dún Chaoin.
***Please note: The bus-service only runs Monday and Thursday mornings at 8.50 and afternoons at 12.45. If coming from Dingle on Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday-Sunday you will need to get a taxi which will cost a minimum of €20***
For details on bus timetables and schedules see the Bus Eireann website.
- The nearest train station is in Tralee (64km/40miles) – which is approximately a one hour drive or you can take the bus as above. Alternatively you can travel from Killarney train station via Farranfore (also where the airport is – see directions below).
- From Kerry Airport, follow signs for Farranfore, Dingle, and then Dún Chaoin. There is also a bus service to Tralee from the Kerry Airport and then travel from Tralee as above. If driving from Farranfore this will take you approximately 1.5 hours.
- Self Catering Kitchen
- Outdoor Seating Area with Picnic Tables
- Free Luggage Storage
- Laundry Facilities and Drying Rooms
- Free Private Parking
**There is no shop or post office in the area. The nearest is 8km (5 miles) away in either direction so please be prepared and bring supplies!**